The Ides of March
This was the third Ryan Gosling film I saw in the past year and as much as I love all of his movies, it almost seems as though he's been phoning it in, in these last couple. I can't deny his onscreen presence, I mean, the man is magnetic and really fun to watch, but with the scope, talent and emotions playing in The Ides of March, I think I was expecting a little more from him. That said, I saw this with no idea of what the movie was going to be about and came away from it with a loathsome respect for the game of politics.
Evan Rachel Wood is one of my top 5 favourite actresses in Hollywood and I didn't even realize she was in the movie until I popped it in. The way she was introduced, I saw potential for her to be detrimental to the story, when she actually became an extraordinary character. In my opinion, she was definitely robbed of an Oscar nomination for best actress.
For the first time, you see George Clooney's acting range. He shifts from a idealistic public figure into a cut-throat politician. I was very happy to see this since I figured this movie would be another one of his charming, nice guy-type of roles. He's not in the film as much as the trailers would lead you to believe, but he really gives a great performance.
The rest of the supporting cast were great as well; Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti and Marisa Tomei! The Ides of March surprised the hell out of me and I would recommend it to anyone who is enthusiastic about film and appreciates a good drama.
George Clooney has definitely been one of my favourite directors since Confessions of A Dangerous Mind and The Ides of March doesn't disappoint.

No comments:
Post a Comment