Sunday, February 26, 2012

My take on the Oscars 2012

I wanted to watch as many films as I could this past week. Unfortunately, I failed trying to catch up on nominated films and watched mostly movies that were not nominated and... I don't know why. Of the Best Picture category, I have seen Moneyball and The Help. That's it.

These are all of the Oscar worthy films I've seen this year:

- 50/50
- Contaigon
- Drive
- The Help
- The Ides of March
- J. Edgar
- Our Idiot Brother
- Margin Call
- Moneyball
- Take Shelter
- Warrior
- Win Win

I'm basing all my personal nominations on the films I have seen.

Best Actor
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt, 50/50
- Leonardo DiCaprio, J. Edgar
- Brad Pitt, Moneyball
- Michael Shannon, Take Shelter
- Tom Hardy, Warrior

Best Actress
- Viola Davis, The Help
- Bryce Dallas Howard, The Help
- Evan Rachel Wood, The Ides of March
- Amy Ryan, Win Win

Best Supporting Actor
- Laurence Fishburne, Contaigon
- Albert Brooks, Drive
- George Clooney, The Ides of March
- Jeremy Irons, Margin Call
- Nick Nolte, Warrior

Best Supporting Actress
- Kate Winslet, Contaigon
- Octavia Spencer, The Help
- Allison Janney, The Help
- Jessica Chastain, The Help
- Emily Mortimer, Our Idiot Brother

Of the leading actors nominated, I have only seen Brad Pitt in Moneyball and as much as I liked him in the role and know he deserves the nomination, I would have voted for Joseph Gordon-Levitt in 50/50.



Joseph Gordon-Levitt, 50/50

Of the leading actresses nominated, once again I have only seen Viola Davis in The Help. If I were voting, I would have nominated Evan Rachel Wood in The Ides of March. Unfortunately, she will never be nominated until she breaks up with Marilyn Manson.



Evan Rachel Wood, The Ides of March

Of the supporting actors nominated, I have seen two of the films; Moneyball and Warrior. As much as I love the guy, I do not think Jonah Hill deserved the nomination. I would have rather seen Albert Brooks nominated for Drive. The person I would like to see win is Nick Nolte in Warrior.



Nick Nolte, Warrior

Of the supporting actresses nominated, I have seen two films; The Help and Bridesmaids. I do not get why Bridesmaids is so popular. It's a phenomenon that so many people agree it's great when it's really not. Yes it was funny, but the last 40 minutes was excruciating. Jessica Chastain gave the best performance in The Help, she deserves to win. Although everyone in that movie gave stellar performances, especially Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Bryce Dallas Howard and Allison Janney.



Jessica Chastain, The Help

Of the films I've seen this year, I would say 50/50 would have gotten my vote for Best Picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment